WH Questions. There are two types of questions: Yes/ No questions and Wh questions. Below are some useful question words (interrogative words) with examples.
WH Questions in English
Interrogative words definition: Interrogative words or question words are used to ask a question, such a what, when, where, who, which, whom, why, and how.
They are sometimes called wh words because in English most of them start with WH.
Wh Questions begin with question words (WH words). They are used to ask for information.
Learn Wh Questions in English.
Asking about a thing
- What is your name?
- What is this?
- What is your favorite color?
- What do you do?
Asking about a time of an event or activity
- When did he leave?
- When can I see you again?
- When does Tom arrive?
- When do you wake up every day?
Asking about a place
- Where do you live?
- Where were the keys?
- Where can I obtain the book?
- Where did you learn to cook?
Asking about a person (Act as the subject of the sentence)
- Who is at the door?
- Who is this?
- Who locked the door?
- Who do you work for?
Asking about a person (Act as the object of the sentence)
- Whom did you see?
- Whom is he dating?
- Whom would you suggest for the job?
- Whom did they invite?
Asking about an option or choice
- Which color do you want?
- Which author do you enjoy?
- Which book are you looking for?
- Which is the largest city in the world?
Asking about ownership
- Whose turn is it to deal?
- Whose keys are on the kitchen counter?
- Whose book is on the table?
- Whose idea is it?
Asking for a reason
- Why do you say that?
- Why did Alex leave?
- Why are they always late?
- Why do you dislike him so much?
Asking about a procedure or method
- How does this work?
- How was your exam?
- How can I help you?
Asking about a number
- How many cars are there?
- How many people live in this city?
Asking about an amount or price
- How much money do you have?
- How much did you pay for the tickets?
Asking about a length of time or size
- How long will you be in Japan?
- How long have you been married?
Asking about a distance
- How far does the road continue?
- How far is it to Shinjuku?
Asking about frequency
(Adverbs of frequency tell us how often something takes place or happens)
- How often do you use the bus?
- How often do you go to church?
WH Words – Question Words in English | Infographic
WH Questions in English