Teeth names!!! Your teeth and the structure of your mouth play important roles in your ability to eat, speak, and stay healthy. There are 4 different classes of teeth. Let’s take a look at this lesson to explore the structure and functions of the human teeth!
There are four types of teeth found in humans: incisors, canines, premolars, and molars.
Teeth Names with their Functions
- Canines: combine with the incisors to bite and tear food
- Premolars: smaller than the molars and have two cups on the biting location for crushing and tearing food
- Incisors: use to take bites of food
- Molars: have flat, broad surfaces for chewing, biting, and grinding food
- Wisdom teeth: among the molars, the final four molars that most adults develop
Teeth Names and Numbers
Teeth are one of the strongest parts of the human body. It is mainly composed of proteins and minerals. Apart from the digestion, teeth also play an important role in our speech. An adult will have 32 teeth, including wisdom teeth.
Overall adults have 32 teeth in total, called permanent or secondary teeth.
Babies are born toothless as their primary source of food is mother’s milk. As the babies start to wean, milk teeth gradually start to appear.
|Primary/ Milk Teeth||Secondary/ Permanent Teeth|
Teeth Names with Examples
- The false canine on the upper right side of his mouth began to ache.
- They had four first premolar extraction, but the outcomes were not so satisfied.
- A sweet chestnut lay close by, its glossiness marred by decisive incisor scratch marks.
- The patient has a radiolucent lesion below the molar teeth in the right mandible.
- The dentist may decide that the wisdom teeth need to be extracted.
Teeth Names Infographic
Different Classes of Human Teeth