Learn useful sequence words in English with the infographic. In this article, we learn some linking words and connectors of sequence for ESL learners.
List of Sequence Words
Here are some transition words and phrases that we use to show the sequence and order of events or ideas.
- In the beginning
- First of all
- Once upon a time
- One day
- To begin
- To start
- After that
- After awhile
- In addition
- All of a sudden
- But then
- At last
- In conclusion
- To summarise
- At the end
- In the end
- After all
- By the end
- By this point
Examples of Sequence Words
In the beginning
- In the beginning, there are only heliotrope flowers on the treetops.
First of all
- First of all, I want you to review what we learned yesterday.
Once upon a time
- Once upon a time, there was a beautiful princess.
- One day, the beginning of a new career journey will commence. Today is NOT that day.
- First, I’ll explain the rules of the game.
- Firstly, they are not efficient, and secondly, they are expensive to make.
- To begin with, she is too young for that kind of job.
- To start with, we haven’t enough money, and secondly, we haven’t enough time.
- Once I’ve done that, it’s a piece of cake.
- Mother went shopping; meanwhile, I cleaned the house.
- If you’re all sitting comfortably, then I’ll begin.
- After that news, I need a stiff drink!
- Later, it transpired she had failed the examination.
- Next to his tanned face, hers seemed pallid and unhealthy.
- Secondly, lawyers and economists approach problems from different perspectives.
- Thirdly, the new style guides have clearly been influenced by some interesting graphic design work.
- He is old and unpopular. Furthermore, he has at best only two years of political life ahead of him.
- I don’t like skating, moreover, the ice is too thin.
- In addition to my weekly wage, I got a lot of tips.
- Subsequently, new guidelines were issued to all employees.
- My legs were tired after so much walking.
- She worked as a librarian before switching to journalism.
- Suddenly he scooted out of the room.
All of a sudden
- All of a sudden I heard an almighty crash from the kitchen.
- But then he decided to play his trump card.
- Finally, they arrived in the safety zone.
- At last, I was able to work undisturbed.
- In conclusion, I hope the preceding arguments have convinced you of the need for action.
- To summarise, this is a clever approach to a common problem.
At the end
- At the end of each level, you take an exam.
- Afterward, the boy became a very famous artist.
In the end
- In the end, we all decided to organize a concert for Easter.
- Lastly, I’d like to ask you about your plans.
- Every man should marry. After all, happiness is not the only thing in life.
By the end
- By the end of the course, I was a complete basket case.
By this point
- By this point, the council had initiated the first of several large redevelopment projects proposed by the business elite.
- Eventually, you’ll learn to cry that on the inside.
Sequence Words | Infographic
Useful Sequence Words in English
Last Updated on July 28, 2020