Learn Useful Sequence Words in English with the Infographic. In this article, we learn some linking words and connectors of sequence for ESL learners.
Sequence Words in English
Here are some transition words and phrases that we use to show the sequence and order of events or ideas.
- In the beginning
- First of all
- Once upon a time
- One day
- To begin
- To start
- After that
- After awhile
- In addition
- All of a sudden
- But then
- At last
- In conclusion
- To summarise
- At the end
- In the end
- After all
- By the end
- By this point
Examples of Sequence Words
- In the beginning, there are only heliotrope flowers on the treetops.
- First of all, I want you to review what we learned yesterday.
- Once upon a time, there was a beautiful princess.
- After that news, I need a stiff drink!
- Firstly, it’s expensive, and secondly, it’s too slow.
- In addition to my weekly wage, I got a lot of tips.
- I don’t like skating, moreover, the ice is too thin.
- Suddenly he scooted out of the room.
- But then he decided to play his trump card.
- To summarise, this is a clever approach to a common problem.
- In the end, we all decided to organize a concert for Easter.
- Afterward, the boy became a very famous artist.
- All of a sudden I heard an almighty crash from the kitchen.
- We can’t go. To begin with, it’s too cold.
Useful Connectors of Sequence | Infographic
Useful Sequence Words in English