What is another word for “sad”? The following list includes some useful synonyms for the word “sad”. Each word has an example sentence to help to understand these synonyms for sad. This list will help you build your vocabulary, especially at advanced levels.
List of Other Words for Sad
- Out of sorts
- In grief
- On edge
- Down in the dumps
Sad Synonyms Examples
- His doleful expression showed that he had failed in the examination.
- She had managed to exorcize these unhappy memories from her mind.
Out of sorts
- She was tired and out of sorts by the time she arrived home.
- Losing the match was a bitter disappointment for the team.
- Mother was most regretful when she saw the remains of the meal.
- He was very downhearted about the poor grades he got in school.
- He remains deeply pessimistic about the peace process.
- When the baby arrived, it was blue and distressing.
- For the past three months, I have been feeling uneasy, heavy-hearted, and furious.
- He wouldn’t say why just said it was one of his morbid moods.
- We were all disappointed to learn that the picnic had been canceled.
- Although a very religious man, he is still troubled by occasional doubts.
- He took an anguished breath. He had to be brutal and say it.
- Her chin sank onto her chest, and she looked despairing.
- She became very tearful when pressed to talk about it.
- She is heartsick that she did not see his poor behavior before she married him.
- The singer gave a dismal performance of some old songs.
- She was very glum and was obviously missing her children.
- His expression was somber as he listened to the report of the accident.
- The divorce was extremely distressing for the children.
- He fixed me with those luminous, empty eyes, and his melancholy smile.
- One who is really at home never feels cold and cheerless.
- Don’t be discouraged at failure.
- She was looking very woeful, with her eyes red and swollen.
- I was very low-spirited, but my father and mother encouraged me a lot.
- The little girl looked so pitiful; I hadn’t the heart to refuse.
- She usually had a smile on her face, but now she looked solemn.
- His work was rejected again and again, and he grew more and more despondent.
- Don’t look so miserable!
- She looked a bit dejected when she was told that she hadn’t got the job.
- Doris was inconsolable. How could her husband walk out on her like that?
- He was wretched when he failed the examination.
- I don’t want to be in tears, but I am still in grief.
- He was desperate when he lost all his money.
- My best friend tells me that I am silly to be upset about this.
- He was heartbroken when she left him.
- Her eyes were red with weeping.
- In the heart of a grave, a smile will become desolate, a person crazy.
- He had a long lugubrious face with drooping and soft pouches beneath the eyes.
- He was at the graveside looking mournful and interesting.
- I realized I was becoming increasingly depressed and apathetic.
- Memories can be painful. To forget may be a blessing.
- In the bathroom, her woebegone face stared at her from the mirror.
- I thought you were looking a little downcast this morning.
- Cleared eventually, can the mood as before depressed! Why am I joyless?
- I feel very alone and distressed about my problem.
- She was a bit on edge till she heard he was safe.
- Are you feeling frustrated in your present job?
- For days she was morose, and he could do nothing to cheer her up.
- She was very disheartened by the results of the test.
- He felt wistful and then smiled to himself.
- Are you telling me you’re frightened to speak to her? Don’t be so pathetic!
- You’re very subdued. What’s wrong?
Down in the dumps
- If you’re feeling down in the dumps, come over and have a chat.
Another Word for Sad | Infographic
Other Words for “Sad” Students Should Know