Parts of speech!!! This article will show definitions and examples for the 8 parts of speech in English grammar: noun, pronoun, verb, adverb, adjective, conjunction, preposition, and interjection.
Parts of Speech in English
Based on use and functions, words are categorized into several types or parts of speech.
The 8 main parts of speech in English are:
Noun definition: A word used to identify any of a class of people, places, or things, or to name a particular one of these.
Noun examples: lady, road, tree, love, dream, pencil, Bob, Mary
Noun example sentences:
- The lady put her wallet in her purse.
- The road was wet and slippery.
- I saw Bob in town with his girlfriend.
- Love is the true price of love.
- Her dream to enter a famous university come true.
Pronoun definition: A word that can function as a noun phrase used by itself and that refers either to the participants in the discourse or to someone or something mentioned elsewhere in the discourse.
Pronoun examples: he, she, it, I, you, we, they
Pronoun example sentences:
- He is optimistic about the future.
- You cannot clap with one hand.
- They are preparing for the presentation of a new musical.
- She arranged an appointment for Friday afternoon at four-fifteen.
- We should push our work, the work should not push us.
Verb definition: A word used to describe an action, state, or occurrence, and forming the main part of the predicate of a sentence, such as hear, become, happen.
Verb examples: run, fly, work, show, is, become, bring, write
Verb example sentences:
- I can run a mile in 5 minutes.
- The boy decided not to become a sailor.
- He could barely read and write.
- I’ll show you how to load the software.
- Will you bring the tea things into the garden?
Adverb definition: A word or phrase that modifies or qualifies an adjective, verb, or other adverb or a word group, expressing a relation of place, time, circumstance, manner, cause, degree, etc.
Adverb examples: quickly, gently, extremely, carefully, well, fast, beautifully
Adverb example sentences:
- I ate too quickly and got hiccoughs.
- We compared the two reports carefully.
- He felt extremely frustrated when things went against him.
- The new curtains tone in beautifully with the carpet.
- ‘You miss them, don’t you?’ he asked gently.
Adjective definition: A word naming an attribute of a noun, such as sweet, red, or technical.
Adjective examples: new, fat, pretty, old, blue, smart, intelligent, young
Adjective example sentences:
- That’s a pretty hat you’re wearing.
- You look very smart in your new suit.
- You’re a very superior young woman.
- Jack is an intelligent pupil, but he lacks motivation.
- The sun glared out of the blue sky.
Conjunction definition: A word used to connect clauses or sentences or to coordinate words in the same clause.
Conjunction examples: and, but, or, however, moreover, while, because
Conjunction example sentences:
- Our bus won’t start because the battery is flat.
- You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink.
- I feel a bit tired. However, I can hold on.
- The rent is reasonable, and moreover, the location is perfect.
- Other men live to eat, while I eat to live.
Preposition definition: A word governing, and usually preceding, a noun or pronoun and expressing a relation to another word or element in the clause.
Preposition examples: in, on, at, about, with, over, around, through, during, above
Preposition example sentences:
- He raised his arms above his head.
- I can hear voices through the wall.
- You’re not allowed to talk during the exam.
- I want to make an inquiry about train times.
- Once, she walloped me over the head with a frying pan.
Interjection definition: An abrupt remark, especially as an aside or interruption.
Interjection examples: Oh!, Wow!, Oops!, Hey!, Haha
Interjection example sentences:
- Wow! That car certainly goes fast!
- Hey! Can I just ask you something?
- Oops! I nearly dropped my cup of tea!
- Oh, yeah? I forgot all about it.
- I can also be pretension and flash it away to others. haha!
8 Parts of Speech | Infographic
8 Parts of Speech in English
Parts of Speech Quiz
Take a look at these sentences and choose the correct answer.
1 thought on “Parts of Speech: 8 Parts of Speech with Example Sentences”
I love how these things are explained