Mouth anatomy!!! The mouth has various internal and external structures. They all contribute to the execution of many systems in the human body. Below is a list of some parts of the mouth with their functions and example sentences.
Parts of the Mouth
The structures of the human mouth include:
- Tongue: muscular organ of deglutition, speech, and taste covered with epithelium and bound to the floor of the mouth
- Teeth: hard dental structures located on the alveolar ridges and situated in the gingiva
- Hard palate: the front of the roof of the mouth
- Soft palate: the back of the roof of the mouth
- Tonsil: the ball of tissue on the side of the throat (there is one on each side)
- Lips: in digestive system, their function is to serve as a passage for dietary and fluid intake
- Gums (Gingiva): dense fibrous tissue covered by mucous membrane overlying the alveolar ridge in which the teeth are situated
- Uvula: soft tissue that hangs from the soft palate
- Retromolar trigone: tissue that joins the upper and lower jaws
- Inside of the cheek
- Salivary glands: during chewing, salivary glands in the walls and floor of the mouth secrete saliva
Mouth Anatomy with Examples
- He was having trouble getting his tongue around my name.
- I must ask the dentist to fit me with some new teeth.
- The hard palate is divided in the midline, care being taken to preserve the soft palate.
- The filtering function of lymphatic tissue enables the tonsils and adenoids to trap pathogens.
- Michael put the cigarette to his lips and sucked in the smoke.
- She gave the poor creature a kick, then smiled at me with toothless gums.
- If those are the teeth and that’s the tongue, then that must be the uvula.
- The venom glands are modified salivary glands located in the lower jaws.
Mouth Anatomy Infographic
Mouth Anatomy – Different Parts of the Mouth
Last Updated on June 22, 2021