What is an interjection? An interjection is a word that you use to express a strong sense of emotion or feeling. There are lots of different kinds of words that can act as an interjection. They can be used to express different kinds of emotions or feelings – from boredom, anger, enthusiasm, surprise to happiness, and more.
An interjection is a word that expresses some kind of emotion. It is a part of speech in the English language. Interjections do not have a grammatical function in the sentence and are not related to the other parts of the sentence.
When you are expressing a strong emotion, use an exclamation mark (!). A comma (,) can be used for a weaker emotion.
List of Interjections
Interjections with Examples
- Ah, Jessica, how wonderful to see you!
- Bah! We shouldn’t even be here! Or siding with the orcs.
- Cheerio! Have a good trip!
- Oh, dear! What’s happened now?
- Eh, Daniel, I can’t take control of the boat.
- Gee, it’s good to have a look at you, old socks!
- Haha. That’s great. Then you’re the right person to 1 enlighten me.
- Mm, I know what you mean.
- Nay, lad. It’s not that bad.
- Ooh, what a lovely dress!
- Phew! That was a nasty moment — that car nearly hit us.
- Shoo, all of you, I’m busy!
- “Tush, child, tush, “said the old frog, “that was only the farmer’s ox.
- Ugh, I’ve got something horrible on the bottom of my shoe!
- Wait a minute. Is she going for spring vacation or spring break? Wahoo!
- Yay! I’ve finished my exam!
- Aha! I knew you were trying to trick me!
- Bye! Don’t forget to write.
Cheers! See you tomorrow night.
- No! That’s terrible!
- Goodness! How many more times do I have to tell you!
- Hello, this is the Park Restaurant. May I help you?
- Nah, it’s just a snafu. Could happen to anyone.
- Oops, I think I made a boo-boo there – I hope she’s not too upset.
- Phew! That was a close call — she nearly saw us!
- Shh! Settle down, please! Now turn to page 57.
- Well, I’ve found our position on the map if you want to see where we are.
- Ahem, I wonder if I could raise this problem with you now.
- Bingo! Say, do you like oysters?
- Duh, the only audio input will have to be via USB or the built-in mic.
- Gosh, I didn’t expect to see you here!
- Mmm, I’m not so sure that’s a good idea.
- Ouch! It really hurts.
- Um, if I mispronounce your name, I am terribly sorry.
Damn! I’ve lost my pen.
- Hey, leave off! I hate people touching my hair.
- Urgh, you reek of garlic!
- Whoa! Did you see me catch some air off that mogul?
- Ahh. You an outcast. That’s great, are we?
- Goodbye, Hanu. I wish you well.
- Hi, my name’s Tiffany. How may I help you?
- Is that for me? Oh, you’re so kind!
- Pooh! You can’t finish that paper by tomorrow.
- Uh, yeah, I guess so.
- Whoopee, it’s the holidays!
Ahoy, young man, what’s your name?
- Ooh. Nice dress, Carol.
- O, pshaw! Keep still!
- Whoops! That’s the second time I’ve spilled coffee today!
- Blimey, that’s a funny hat!
- Hmm. We need a person who can take inventory.
- Ho, ho! What have we here?
- Ow! I’ve got something in my eye!
- Whoosh! The straw house falls down.
- Hurray! It’s time to go home.
- Wow! Did you make that cake? It looks delicious!
Interjections List | Infographic
List of Interjections in English
Last Updated on August 10, 2023