What is another word for “hello”? There are many ways to say “hello” in English; they are “hi”, “howdy”, “welcome”, “hey”, “salute”, etc. Below is a list of different ways to say “hello” with example sentences and ESL infographic.
Ways to Say “Hello”
The below list contains synonyms of the word hello that you can use instead.
- Hey, boo!
- Hey, what’s up?
- Hi! There
- How day!
- What’s new?
- Good day
- How are things (with you)
- What’s up (sup?)
- How are you doing?
- Good morning/ afternoon/ evening
- Good to see you
- What have you been up to?
- Look what the cat dragged in!
- It is nice to meet you
- What’s going on?
- How have you been?
- Stay safe
- How are ya?
- Long time, no see
- What’s the good word?
- Nice to see you again?
- Good morning sir, how are you?
- Look who it is!
- Greetings and salutations!
- How are you feeling today?
- Nice to meet you!
- Morning/ afternoon/ evening
Examples of Hello Synonyms
- Hi, Joe. I’d like you to meet a friend of mine.
- Hey, doll, why don’t you get me a cup of coffee?
Hey, what’s up?
- Hey, girl. What’s up?
- Hi! There! I haven’t seen you for ages.
- Good day to you, Bernard! It’s a positive delight to see you.
How are things (with you)
- How are things with you, Sarah?
What’s up (sup?)
- What’s up? Why are you crying?
How are you doing?
- Hey, man, how are you doing?
Good morning/ afternoon/ evening
- Good morning, sir. Can I help you?
- Good afternoon, and welcome to our Career Day.
- Shalom Shalom, good evening, have a good day!
- Howdy, my dear friend.
Good to see you
- Good to see you, Mr. Thomas. This is my colleague Mr. Smith, David Smith.
What have you been up to?
- What have you been up to lately?
How have you been?
- Yeah, how have you been?
- Welcome! Come in and meet my parents.
Long time, no see
- Long time no see. I have a gift for you, my dear teacher. Merry Christmas!
- Yo, dude! How’s it going?
Nice to meet you!
- Nice to meet you, Mitchell. I’m Lamar Quin.
Morning/ afternoon/ evening
- Morning, Sister Mary.
- Afternoon. I made an appointment for a perm at four.
- Evening. I’m Wolfe. Thank you for your card.
Another Word for Hello | Infographic
List of Other Words for “Hello” in English