Despite vs Although in this lesson, we learn the differences between Despite vs Although and how to use them correctly.
DESPITE vs ALTHOUGH
What’s the difference between Despite and Although?
When to Use Despite
- Despite is a preposition.
- After despite we use a noun or a pronoun.
- Despite cannot link clauses.
- Despite the bad weather, we enjoyed ourselves.
- Despite the criticisms, she remained defiant.
- She looked lovely, despite her strange apparel.
- He’s an ordinary bloke, despite being famous.
- The plants are growing in again, despite the drought.
- Despite all the difficulties, he still remains optimistic.
When to Use Although
- Although is a subordinating conjunction.
- After although we use a clause.
- Although can link clauses.
- They are generous although they are poor.
- Although she is young, she is very independent.
- Although he was ill, he went to work.
- Although she often disagreed with me, she was always courteous.
- They got on well together although they were total strangers.
- I recognized Peter although I hadn’t seen him for 10 years.
Difference between Despite and Although | Infographic
How to Use Despite vs Although in English?