Color Idioms List! Colorful idioms are everywhere! Color idioms are very common in English. Here are some common color idioms and expressions that will improve your English.
Awesome Color Idioms
List of great English idioms based on color with their meanings.
1. Red tape
Official or bureaucratic tasks
2. Green with envy
To be very jealous, envious
3. Gray area
Something that is unclear, undefined
4. Black and blue
Describe something that is badly bruised
5. Golden opportunity
The perfect chance
6. Have the blues
Be sad or depressed
7. Black sheep
A person who is a disgrace to a family or group
8. Out of the blue
Randomly, without warning, surprisingly
9. White lie
A small lie that is told to be polite or avoid hurting someone’s feelings
11. Caught red-handed
To catch someone in the act of doing something
12. To be yellow
To be cowardly
13. To see red
To be very angry
14. Green thumb
To be skilled at gardening
15. Once in a blue moon (Idioms about Nature)
16. Take the red eye
A late night flight that arrives early in the morning
17. Tickled pink
To be extremely pleased
18. Pink slip
A notice of dismissal from employment
19. White elephant
An expensive item that is costly to maintain
20. Silver screen
The film industry
21. Blue collar
Working in a manual labor job
22. Black as night
Somewhere very dark, when it is hard to see anything
23. Black eye
A bruise near one’s eye
24. Black out
25. Beet red
26. Black and white
Straight forward, very clear
27. The green light
28. In the red
29. Roll out the red carpet
Treat someone like royalty
Color Idioms Examples
- It takes weeks to get through the red tape.
- He was green with envy when he saw my new Jaguar car.
- I’m having trouble answering you because there gray area.
- He punched me until I was black and blue.
- He wasted a golden opportunity when he missed from the penalty spot.
- Leave me alone. I really have the blues today.
- Tom is the black sheep of his family.
- Symptoms of the disease often appear out of the blue.
- The doctor told him a white lie.
- I see red whenever I hear that man’s name.
- Mr. White has a green thumb. His garden is always beautiful.
Color Idioms with their Meaning | Infographic
Color Idioms in English
Color Idioms with their Meaning
Last Updated on December 25, 2019